Sunday, November 8, 2009

lesson #52: Live life as if it's your last day?

"Live as if you will die today."
It sounded damn cool the first time i heard it. It was even stuck in my mind for some time! The words seem to give an "ummph" to the dreadful boring parts of life.

But fortunately unfortunately I study Economics. And after some time, that sentence doesn't actually make sense.

In Economics, we study the allocation of resources. Assuming that everything we have is a resource (c'mon, i gotta use some economics accent, right?), I applied Economics in my time management - hopefully, correctly.

In Economics, when I make economic decisions decisions regarding how much to buy and how much to save, first I gotta know how many periods are involved how long I will be alive to experience the effect of my decisions. Say, if I live for 2 days (today & tomorrow), it means I must consider the fact that (assuming I have limited resources) if I spend something today, I will have less to spend tomorrow. Simple, right? (see, I told you Econs is easy at first)

This cool name is something like inter-temporal consumption decision. Or was it - ah, forget it..

Anyway, that means, if you KNOW that you will die today, you will decide to spend whatever you have based on the fact that the you will only live to see the consequences of your decision until today ends. Right? The rest is - well, who cares??

So what would YOU do?

Prepare the biggest, most embarrassing prank on your ex backstabbing colleagues not-so-favorite friends acquaintances to happen just before the clock strikes midnight?

Make a super exhausting money-wasting heart-melting, romantic display by yourself with the help of your friends (those not included in object of the previous prank, obviously) for your crush the one and true love of your life?

Take a Porsche for a test-drive and slam step on the throttle to find out what it feels like to be in control of a monster machine at 200km/hour and outrun the speed cameras? (not to mention listening to the outrageous engine roar)

Since all these options might give me that pleasure of adrenaline rush - that euphoria, then economically, they might be worth doing.
Cuz then I will die at midnight anyway. And never live to see the trouble responsibility pain consequences of my fun decisions.

But do I KNOW FOR SURE that I am going to die today? WHO DOES?
If I end up waking tomorrow, then I'd have to face all the consequences of my stupid decision today! (and maybe even be better off dead)

I can't! I can't live as if today is my last day! That would be foolish!


Live as if today ends today. Life continues tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow.. u can creatively use econs in the 'things u learn in life', hoho gd2.. can learn frm u, hehe..
i like ur last statement =) although i think tat if we take as it is the last day we live, we may try to prioritize n realize which aspects of our life is important n meaningful for us, to do them at our last few hours of life on earth =)

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

Hey Dan,
nice blog. I've enjoyed reading them for the past few hours. (Sampe lesson #1). Gue juga jadi ikut banyak reflection. Banyak diingatkan. Thank You.
Banyak pemikiran yg similar, meaning I've had those thoughts before too. And jadi baru sadar, ternyata most of us went through similar things around our age.
Anyway, menurut gw (what it means to me), about lesson #52, living your day as if your last, maksudnya adalah, living it to the fullest. Jadi meski besok mati pun gak ada yg disesali. (Mudah2an ngerti).

Yossy and The Blah said...

no, u din miss anything (does that answer the question--LOL).
i was browsing through ur blog and I like the idea of time-concerned future planning.
I din really live my life to the fullest in the past, which I regret so much considering how much more I can gain. its really nice knowing that someone out there does think about this and it opened my eyes in some ways :)

Unknown said...

Just to add to your Piggy bank of thoughts....The way I look at it, “living as if it is your last day” is a rather terrifying thought – after all the excitement of fulfilling your last moments have subsides – you are then left with the thought of “...then what?” The consequence that lies beyond the grave should scare the crap out of you more than the consequence that you will have to face tomorrow for all of your actions today, frankly. The saying is pretty much crap. As if fulfilling your life expectations and goals today would make it so that when you die you can just waltz in into eternity happily. Absent from the body, is present with the Lord. If He was to judge us fairly on all of our actions from when we were alive, our sentence would be...hell. But, with him, there is forgiveness, that He may be feared. The “living...” saying should, above all, serves as a reminder of THE most important PREPARATION we must get done before our appointment with God – which is, to get our heart right. If not for grace so freely given, I say, live, eat drink, screw consequences, as we will die tomorrow and for the rest of eternity.